Wednesday 27 October 2010

ALL TIME GREATS

    I have been meaning to blog for a while now but couldn't get myself to do it;lazy me.
I have been getting requests to blog on a topic like this for a while now and i've decided to take it up.
There are a number of singers/musicians; both local and international who are usually overlooked. This is a common phenomenon these days with many artistes going commercial and watering down the quality of the music they are putting out. Therefore, the ones who are really making music and not noise are ''buried''. *sad tales*
    Anyway, that is a topic for another day.....If u ask any person who the greatest musician of all time that they know, u'd probably get Michael Jackson for an answer. I'm not going to say Michael(R.I.P) wasn't a great musician but he wasn't the only great  one. In some peoples' books, he wasn't the greatest. He was really just a brilliant entertainer who pushed himself a lot;even to death.
    In my book of greats, there are very many names. Music is universal and a lot of people love it and are talented in that aspect but in my top ten are artistes whom when i listen to any/most of their works, my soul is touched, my spirit is healed and their lyrics move my mind to deep thought.

Men10. Joe Cocker

  9. Jay-Z (Shawn Carter)







8. David Ruffin
7.Luther Vandross
6. Steven Tyler(he's crazy but he's crazy 'bout music too)
5.Sam Cooke(very few singers can do justice to ''A change is gonna come'') R.I.P
4. James Brown(godfather of soul)
3. Stevie Wonder(he inspired me to play the piano)
2. Marvin Gaye(the only person i know that can make the American anthem sound like a love song)
1. Ne-yo(he is a phenomenon in music #period!)
 
I can't but include Michael Jackson, George Michael, Sir Elton John, Paul McCartney and locally, King Sunny Ade, Ebenezer Obey, Sir Shina Peters, Salewa Abeni (people who will always be relevant in music to music lovers)



Women: In no particular order.........
Whitney Houston(her voice is very crap now tho) *SMH*
Mariah Carey(18 number1's...and counting!)
Mary J Blige(one of the first singers i ever listened to)
Aretha Franklin
Tina Turner(this is whom Beyonce was majorly inspired by)
Christina Aguilera (her vocal range is outta this world!)
Alicia Keys(never fails to bring purely beautiful music)

Beyonce' Knowles-Carter(no words to describe how musically awesome she is)
Lauryn Hill(sadly, she's left 'commercial' music;now the likes of Lady Gaga are dominating and poisoning our ears)
I cannot but add Etta James, Gladys Knight, Dolly Parton. 

 You might agree or choose to disagree with my list... it may well be a partial list.
 xoxo :)

3 comments:

  1. Lauryn Hill makes good music :).. Too Good..... & Truthful, I smile at my guilt anytime some songs are on

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, i did leave out some people i shouldn't have. Lauryn Hill, Nina Simone, Fela et al. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beyonce, She's the first artiste I've seen to give a free, live show in Times Square. She came out of her limo and decided to sing for the crowd, with no props, only a microphone and her voice..Lord!!! It was orgasm to the ears..

    ReplyDelete